Moissanite is a gemstone you might not have heard of, but one that has recently started gaining popularity due to its high quality and similarity to diamonds.
Moissanite is a naturally occurring gemstone which was discovered in 1893 by Nobel Prize-winning French chemist, Dr. Henri Moissan. It is believed that moissanite came to earth via meteorites.
Naturally occuring moissanite is extremely rare (more rare than naturally occuring diamonds). Therefore the large majority of moissanites are lab-grown.
Visually Identical To A Diamond
- To the human eye, it is impossible to distinguish between a moissanite and a diamond.
- You would need a diamond/moissanite tester to measure whether it is a diamond or a moissanite. In fact, if a diamond tester relies on thermal conductivity, it will mistakenly read moissanite as diamond because they are so similar.
2nd Hardest Gemstone In The World
- Moissanite is, next to diamond, the hardest gemstone in the world. It measures 9.25/10 on Moh's Hardness Scale
The World's Most Brilliant Gemstone
- Moissanite has more sparkle than diamonds. When light enters a diamond, it bends and refracts the same white light back out of the gem. However, when light enters a Moissanite, it breaks in two, increasing its refraction.
- Moissanite has a refractive index of 2.69 (versus diamond 2.42), noticeable by moissanite testers but not the human eye.
More Fire Than Diamonds
- Fire is a gemstone's ability to disperse white light into all the colors of the rainbow.
- Moissanite has more fire than diamonds rated at 0.104 (versus diamond 0.044)
- Moissanite has 5-7 times more fire than ruby, sapphire and emerald respectively
- This means moissanite outshines almost any gemstone in the world
Alternative To The Problematic Diamond Industry
- The diamond industry has unfortunately been associated with many tragic problems, including severe human rights abuses. Due to poor planning and organization, the diamond industry has also caused environmental devastation, severely damaging the land and water to the point that entire ecosystems have broken down.
- Our Moissanite is a 100% ethical and conflict free material that is almost 100% identical to diamonds. It has not been mined, but is lab grown (each Moissanite Gemstone will take 2-3 months to grow). This makes it much easier for us to control that there are ethical practices associated with our Moissanites. It is also much easier to control the quality of the Moissanite gemstone. Naturally occuring Moissanite is extremely rare, and often has inherent imperfections.